Kundal in Sangli district has a strong historical background. It was once the Capital of the mighty Chalukyas. Locals claim that the village is 1600 years old. Kaundanyapur, as it was then known, was a part of Karnataka (currently is a part of Maharashtra) province ruled by the Chalukyas. A temple built in the memory of Maharaja Jaysingh stands even today. Jaysingh’s grandson Pulkeshini shifted his Capital to Watatipur (present day Badami) resulting in the decline of Kundal.
Kundal is surrounded by hills. One of them called Zari Parshwanath has two caves which house the idol of Bhagawan Mahaveer and the images of Ram,Sita and Laxman. A huge trough near these caves provides water in summer. Villegers used this water during the severe drought of 1972. The water from this trough cascades near the idol of Mahaveer, hence it is called ‘Zari Parshwanath’. A large ground on top of another hill is considered holy by the Jains because they believe Bhagwan Mahaveer gave sermeons to his followers here. This place is called ‘Samav Sharan’. Nearby, there is a group of 13 caves which were used for meditation. A few years ago, an idol of Mahaveer was found. Even today many antiquities are discovered. The Mahaveer idol in Jain Basti here is unique, as it is made of sand. Every year thousands of Jains visit this place.
The village has the history of freedom movement also. The president of Gandhi Education Society, Kundal, and whose name is given to the college,Late Dr. Krantiagrani G. D. Bapu Lad is a freedom fighter and founder member of the Parallel-Government movement in Satara District. He worked with the chief Exponent of the movement and the Great Revolutionist Krantisinha Nana Patil. Still the end of his life , Late Dr. G. D. Bapu worked for the villagers. Only because of his continuous efforts, the whole Kundal became irrigated. Taking into consideration the changing need of the society and the world, with the helping hand of villagers, he has started Kranti Co-operative sugar Factory and made employment available to the Villagers. Many villagers have sacrificed their lives to make the country free. This is the village where Revolution took place. This village had actively participated in 1942’s ‘Quit India movement’ against the Britishers.